Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil (Matt 4:1).
Jesus was led into the desert by the Spirit to be tempted by Satan! After 40 days of fasting, when Jesus was at his weakest physically, Satan came to Him. He tempted Him in 3 areas where you and I are most tempted. Why would the Father require this? Jesus needed to affirm to Satan who He was and from whom He gained His authority and provision.
1) Our identity
“‘If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: “He shall give His angels charge over you,” and, “In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.”‘ Jesus said to him, ‘It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the LORD your God.'” Jesus understood His identity and refused to allow Satan to redefine Him. Do not allow Satan to define your identity from anyone or anything other than God.2) Our authority
Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “And he said to Him, ‘All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.’ Jesus said to him, ‘It is written again, “You shall not tempt the LORD your God.”‘” Jesus’ authority was rooted in doing only what He saw the Father do. He did not use fleshly authority.
3) Our source of provision
“And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry. Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, ‘If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.’ But He answered and said, ‘It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.”‘”
- God’s Authority (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- An Introduction to Biblical Deliverance (raymondjclements.wordpress.com)
- Why did Satan tempt Jesus? (nelima.wordpress.com)
- How do we know Jesus was not the son of the Devil instead of God (wiki.answers.com)
- Not Tempting Jesus Again (crispysea.blogspot.com)
- Mark Chapter 1 (pofw.wordpress.com)
- Receiving the Latter Rain (sabbathsermons.com)
- What lessons can be learned from Jesus’ encounter with the devil? (spiritualdimension.wordpress.com)
- The Armor of God .. contd. Sword of the Spirit (ptl2010.wordpress.com)
- How did Jesus rebuke Satan (wiki.answers.com)