Join us for our next FREE live webcast on Monday, April 8th at 2pm EST. Os Hillman and his daughter Charis Brown will discuss Turning Lemons into Lemonade. Don’t miss it! Join the webcast
Asa, a Model King Until…
Asa was a godly King of Judah. There were two kingdoms during his reign – Judah and Israel. Israel‘s king was Baasha, who was a wicked king. To the east of Judah was Damascus, whose king was Ben-Hadad. Asa was an amazingly faithful and righteous king for thirty-five years. He got rid of the idol worship, and even deposed his mother for idol worship. God blessed his rule by allowing peace in the land for thirty-five years.
When Asa came into power the nation was lost. There was no godly ruler. There were many wars and the people began to cry out to God for deliverance. God sent them Asa.
When Judah was attacked by Zerah the Cushite who marched against them with a vast army and three hundred chariots, Asa called upon the LORD and God answered his prayer and delivered them from a larger and stronger army than Judah’s.
However, thirty-five years later, Asa began to move away from trusting God and decided he could buy the favor of his enemy, the King of Ben-Hadad. Asa sent gold and silver to him as a bribe asking Ben-Hadad to cancel his treaty with King Baasha and go to war on behalf of Asa and Judah. Asa’s strategy worked and he defeated Israel. However, there was a cost.
“In the thirty-ninth year of his reign Asa was afflicted with a disease in his feet. Though his disease was severe, even in his illness he did not seek help from the LORD, but only from the physicians. Then in the forty-first year of his reign Asa died and rested with his fathers” (2 Chron 16:12-14).
What we learn from Asa is that whenever we place our trust and obedience in the Lord, God becomes our source for security and prosperity. However, when we move away from trusting God, that security is removed and we fail to receive those things God intended us to have.
Did today’s devotion encourage you?
Encourage your friends by sharing TGIF!
- An Act of Foolishness Made Out of Fear and Lost Faith (talkativeangel.wordpress.com)
- 2 Chronicles 16 (asorensen.wordpress.com)
- Exclusive Intervew with Asa Kling, Israel Patent Office Director (ipwatchdog.com)
- ASA – Superficial (Mixtape) (getmybuzzup.com)
- 2 Kings 15 (asorensen.wordpress.com)
- 3 Phase Obedience (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Book of Jeremiah (altruistico.wordpress.com)
- Faith Versus Presumption (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- -ASA HS-1A Headset w/ASA Headset Bag (asahs1aheadsetbagmy.wordpress.com)
- Indian River Baptist Church Sunday School, April 7, 2013: Lamentations 2:1-8 (thelightheartedcalvinist.com)