“Shepherd your people with your staff, the flock of your inheritance, which lives by itself in a forest, in fertile pasturelands” (Micah 7:14).
You and I are called to be shepherds in the workplace. Your “staff” (vocation) represents your calling to your work life ministry. Moses‘ staff represented his calling as a shepherd. God‘s first words to Moses were: “Remove your shoes. For this is Holy ground.” God came to Moses during his work day. His work became holy because God’s presence was there.
God used Moses’ staff to perform miracles and deliver the people of Israel from bondage. (Ex. 4:17). He is still issuing this same call today to you and I in the workplace. For most of us, this is where our inheritance lies. As we minister through our work life call, our inheritance will come as a result of letting God use our abilities. Paul tells us in Colossians 3:23, 24: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”
What makes our work holy is the motivation by which we do it. If we work to glorify God in it and serve others in the process, that is what makes it ministry. The word ministry and service are derived from the same Greek word, diakonia.
Those in the workplace are like a remnant of a wayward people in a forest awaiting harvest. It is a fertile pasture awaiting a shepherd who can lead them into a life of purpose and destiny. Will you be the instrument of God to shepherd His people out of bondage?
Ask the Lord to use your “staff” to perform miracles and to become a shepherd to those He has called you to lead. Why not start today?
Did today’s devotion encourage you?
Encourage your friends by sharing TGIF!
- The Marketplace Minister and the Pulpit Minister Partnership (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Cast Down (maryscatholicgarden.com)
- Shepherd and Proud! (chanteea.wordpress.com)
- Butcher or Shepherd (fromthepreacherspc.org)
- Spiritual Warfare (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- From the Desert to the Promised Land (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Triple “Shepherd” Chili CheeseBurger (divine-seasoning.com)
- The Staff Syndrome (thelittlehouseontherock.wordpress.com)
- Pastors as Shepherds or ‘Culture’ Trend Setters? (atwistedcrownofthorns.com)
- Psalm 23…The Lord Is My Shepherd (vineoflife.net)