It’s Time for a Funeral
“There’s nothing wrong with you that a good funeral won’t solve,” I said to the woman. “I’ll even send you flowers!” She smiled in response. I was speaking figuratively to the woman who was stressing out about an issue in her life.
Her problem was the same problem most of us have – too much of “us” and not enough of Jesus and the cross. Many of the daily problems in life can be solved by coming to an end of ourselves so Jesus can take over. I believe this is what the psalmist meant when he said: “Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints” (Ps 116:15).
The apostle Paul recognized the need for a funeral too when he penned these words: “What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life” (Rom 6:1-4).
Whenever we stress over a matter, get angry over a daily circumstance, or seek to have our own way – it is a sign there is still life in the grave. We need to fill it with dirt and smother the life of our flesh so that Christ may live freely, unhindered by the “old” man. Send yourself some flowers today. Have a good funeral.
Did today’s devotion encourage you? Encourage your friends by sharing TGIF
- Do You Walk In White? (lacykitkat.wordpress.com)
- Paul’s Personal Mission Statement (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Love Like Jesus – The One Thing You Need: Matthew 3:13-17 (ptl2010.com)
- Five Things Not to Say at a Funeral (zimmermanbiblestudy.wordpress.com)
- If Jesus Had Been There. Funeral Sermon (deprofundisclamaviadtedomine.wordpress.com)
- If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. (richardangulo.wordpress.com)
- IDENTIFYING WITH THE CLEANSING WATER: HOMILY FOR THE BAPTISM OF THE LORD. Rev. Fr. Boniface Nkem Anusiem PhD. (frbonnie.wordpress.com)
- Living and Leaving a Legacy (jscottdorsey.com)
- Evensong ~ January 13, 2013 (ronpogue.typepad.com)
- How Anonymous Got Westboro To Back Off Aaron Swartz’s Funeral (theatlanticwire.com)