2 hr ago
The British judge who sentenced a 33-year-old India-born mom for murdering her 7-year-old son was sympathetic to her history of depression and domestic violence, yet gave her 17 years in prison, citing her “prolonged cruelty.”
LONDON — A British judge Monday sentenced a woman he called a “devoted and loving mother” to at least 17 years in prison for beating her son to death after he failed to memorize passages from the Quran.
Judge Wyn Williams said Ege beat Yaseen repeatedly with a stick over several months, causing internal injuries.
He said that, on the day he died in 2010, Yaseen had been kept home from school to memorize verses from the Muslim holy book, and that his failure “was the trigger for the beating” that killed him.
The judge agreed with defense arguments about India-born Ege’s state of mind, saying she was “a devoted and loving mother” who suffered from depression and had been a victim of domestic violence.
Still, he said, she subjected her son to “prolonged cruelty.”
Ege admitted killing her son in a confession taped by police, but later retracted it and blamed her husband, Yousef. He was tried and acquitted on a charge of failing to prevent his son’s death.
Ege sobbed as the judge passed sentence. Williams said the 2½ years she had spent in secure psychiatric units since her arrest would count toward her 17-year minimum sentence.
- Mom Jailed for Killing Son Over Quran (abcnews.go.com)
- UK jails mom for killing son over Quran study (kansascity.com)
- UK jails mom for killing son over Quran study (omaha.com)
- UK jails mom for killing son over Quran study (miamiherald.com)
- Mother jailed for life for beating son to death because he failed to learn Koran by heart (independent.co.uk)
- UK mom killed son over Quran study (toledoblade.com)
- Woman jailed for beating son to death over Qur’an memorizing (thestar.com)
- UK jails mom for killing son over Quran study (utsandiego.com)