“You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life”(John 5:38-40).
Sometimes you would think the trinity is Father, Son and Holy Scriptures instead of the Holy Spirit. There can be a tendency in Christianity to give so much focus upon the Holy Scriptures that we fail to acknowledge the role of the Holy Spirit in our daily activity.
There is also a second danger. We must be careful in studying the scriptures for the sake of giving to others instead of desiring more of God for ourselves. This is particularly dangerous for the professional Christian worker who is under continued pressure to feed and teach His people. If we are not careful, this process becomes a religious exercise of production, instead of a time of seeking, learning and experiencing His presence.
Jesus told His disciples that when He left He would be leaving the Holy Spirit which would help them live victoriously for Him. “All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you” (John 14:25-27).
“For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit” (Acts 1:5). No longer would converts be baptized just with water, but now they would be baptized with the Holy Spirit. Baptism means we are immersed with water. Now we will be immersed in the Holy Spirit.
It is the Holy Spirit that draws us into intimacy with the Father. He prompts us with a scripture verse to share with a friend or co-worker. He endues us with the power to live for Him and not in our own strength. Truly the Holy Spirit is the third person in the trinity that must be acknowledged and obeyed as we seek to live for Christ. He is also our teacher and guide.
Today, why not ask the Holy Spirit to baptize you afresh with the power to know Him, not just know about Him.
Did today’s devotion encourage you?
Encourage your friends by sharing TGIF!
- Where is the Holy Spirit leading me today? (mww1954.wordpress.com)
- Paraclete (godthefathercalls.wordpress.com)
- Prophecy (bcong.wordpress.com)
- Faith Child – Your Anointing (3) of 3 (ptl2010.com)
- Confession is Good for the Soul (maryscatholicgarden.wordpress.com)
- Chasing the Holy Spirit (livingasapprentices.wordpress.com)
- The Baptism of the Holy Spirit (gospelbondservant.com)
- The Bible Evidence of the Baptism of The Holy Spirit (raymondjclements.wordpress.com)
- FATHER, SON, AND HOLY SPIRIT: RELATIONSHIPS, ROLES, AND RELEVANCE – Bruce A. Ware (2005) (baldreformer.wordpress.com)