Staying the Course
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2 by Os Hillman Sunday, September 23 2012
“Then the angel of the LORD ordered Gad to tell David to go up and build an altar to the LORD on the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite. So David went up in obedience to the word that Gad had spoken in the name of the LORD”(1 Chron 21:18-19).
In 1857, an American businessman named Jeremiah Lanphier was sent out by his local church to begin a noon-day prayer meeting on Fulton Street, right around the corner from Wall Street in New York City. A simple prayer, a willing heart, and an act of obedience resulted in city transformation throughout the United States.
However, at that very first meeting, no one showed up in the first 35 minutes. But Jeremiah waited. Gradually, six people wandered into the room at 35 minutes past the hour. Six months later, 10,000 people were meeting for prayer throughout New York City. This led to one of the greatest spiritual renewals in the United State’s history.
What would have happened if Lanphier had decided to abandon the idea after 30 minutes?
It only takes one man or woman who is willing to be obedient to be used by God to impact a workplace, city, or even an entire nation. Simple obedience can lead to things you cannot imagine. Are you willing to be used by God?
*John Woodbridge,., More than Conquerors: Portraits of Believers from All Walks of Life (Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1992), p. 337.
Did today’s devotion encourage you? Encourage your friends by sharing TGIF!
- Staying the Course (maddmedic.wordpress.com)
- Turning Tragedy into Triumph (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- God is the God of Success (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The Spiritual Realm (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Completing the Work (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- When Service Exceeds Devotion (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Modeling Christ to Your Employer (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The Perfectionist (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Could there be another Great Awakening? (twtface.com)
- Tired of Things As They Are and Want Change? (tulsage.wordpress.com)