Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has angrily condemned the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) Summit in Iran, which has drawn more than 120 nations to a country that has threatened to exterminate Israel.
“Today, over 120 countries are meeting in Tehran, while the regime there denies the Holocaust, and works to destroy the Zionist state,” Netanyahu said on Wednesday, two days after the conference began. “This is a disgrace to humanity.”
He said the presence of these 120 states in Iran is a sign that the world’s pledge of “never again” after the Holocaust is hollow, the Jerusalem Post reported.
Iran is assuming the presidency of the NAM for the next three years.
Among the attendees this week was U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who met with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Wednesday. Ban defied calls from the United States and Israel to boycott the event.
As the Insider Report disclosed two weeks ago, Abraham Foxman, National Director of the Anti-Defamation League, also called on Ban to boycott the Summit, stating that Iran’s leaders have “spouted vile anti-Semitic rhetoric from U.N. podiums.”
Earlier this month Khamenei once again threatened Israel with destruction, saying he was confident “the fake Zionist [regime] will disappear from the landscape of geography.”
While in Tehran, Ban called on Iran to take concrete steps to prove the nation’s nuclear program has only peaceful purposes, as claimed by the Islamic Republic, the Post reported.
NAM comprises most of the world’s developing nations. Iran succeeds Egypt as the chair, and Egypt’s two predecessors were Cuba and Malaysia. After Iran, Venezuela is set to assume the leadership in 2015.
- Iran’s Khamenei Calls for ‘Nuclear Free Middle East’ (commondreams.org)
- In stinging rebuke to hosts, UN chief denounces Iranian anti-Israel threats and Holocaust denial (timesofisrael.com)
- Ban Ki-moon to attend summit in Iran (upi.com)
- #Savage: Obama sent envoy to Iran Summit where Khamenei Calls Israel ‘Ferocious Zionist Wolves’ at Iran-Hosted NAM Summit (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- NAM Summit Backs Iran’s Right To Nuclear Power (rferl.org)
- UN chief discusses nuclear issue, Syria, human rights with Iran (news.xinhuanet.com)
- UN chief slams Iran over Holocaust, anti-Israel remarks (english.ruvr.ru)
- Iran, North Korea sign technology agreement (timesofisrael.com)
- Iran may be pushing to nuke threshold (dailystar.com.lb)
- NAM Summit: Ban Ki-Moon in disgraceful show of US puppetry (alethonews.wordpress.com)