“Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned”(Titus 3:10-11).
Have you ever had to deal with a person that just wanted to argue with you, no matter which position they took? This person usually has a strong opinion and draws conclusions quickly, rarely giving credence to other’s viewpoint.
The apostle Paul knew how to deal with such people. Once he saw this pattern, he confronted the person. If they continued, he cut off fellowship. However, if this person happens to be your boss, you will not be able to avoid the person.
The root stronghold of a person who is argumentative is pride and fear. This person is not secure in who they are as a person. They mask their inadequacies through a need to always be right.
I had a business partner once who was deeply hurt by lawyers in a corporate take-over. Ever since that time he was argumentative with every lawyer he had to deal with. One time, I had to confront him and tell him what was behind his behavior. Thankfully, he had the grace and humility to repent and renounce his stronghold of pride, insecurity and fear. We proceeded to finish our project.
When you run into this in the workplace, pray for understanding. Negative behavior is like the warning light on your car dashboard. It’s telling you there is something going on under the hood. Realize this person is in a prison guarded by a root stronghold that has been a part of his/her life for along time. Unfortunately, it usually takes a significant crisis for that person to examine themselves and become free.
Pray that God gives you grace to work with such a person and pray that God will deliver them.
- Pride that Leads to Arguments (maddmedic.wordpress.com)
- Things I Cannot Understand (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Miraculous Signs (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The Worship Service (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The Response of Faith (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Settling Disputes (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Our Staff as Our Protector (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Being a Shelter for Those in Need (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Stoplight Faith (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The Causes of Failure (wdednh.wordpress.com)