Thursday, June 28 2012
“Neither before nor after Josiah was there a king like him who turned to the LORD as he did – with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his strength, in accordance with all the Law of Moses“(2 Kings 23:25).
What type of person does God raise up when a nation becomes synonymous with idol worship and sin? God raised up a leader that had the courage to destroy the evil and bring the nation back to God. His name was Josiah. “The nation of Israel had been led away from God by Manasseh who reigned in Jerusalem fifty-five years. He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites” (2 Kings 21:1,2).
Manasseh’s son Amon reigned for twenty-two years after him and was also wicked. However, Amon’s son was named Josiah and became king at eight years old after his father was assassinated.
“Josiah did what was right in the eyes of the LORD and walked in all the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left” (2 Kings 23:8). He was a courageous leader. “Nevertheless, the LORD did not turn away from the heat of his fierce anger, which burned against Judah because of all that Manasseh had done to provoke him to anger. So the LORD said, ‘I will remove Judah also from my presence as I removed Israel, and I will reject Jerusalem, the city I chose, and this temple, about which I said, ‘There shall my Name be'” (2 Kings 22:13).
God responded to the Godly reforms that Josiah brought to his nation. “Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD . . . Therefore I will gather you to your fathers, and you will be buried in peace. Your eyes will not see all the disaster I am going to bring on this place'” (2 Kings 22:19-20). Judgment always follows the sin of a nation. If there were ever a time we needed God to raise up Josiahs in our cities and nations, it is now. Pray that God brings forth Godly leaders into your city and nation.
- Audio Readings June 27, 2012 Wednesday of the 12th Week in Ordinary Time (sacredheartcatholicchurchcrosbytexas.wordpress.com)
- A Tale of Two Kings (shilohrestoration.org)
- Burn Down the High Places (shilohrestoration.org)
- Josiah’s Reformation (shilohrestoration.wordpress.com)
- Judah Remains \ Week 24 summary posted (graceofourlord.com)
- The Acts of Josiah – Away from Idolatry! (thebiblehistorybooks.wordpress.com)
- Josiah The King of Judah (thebiblehistorybooks.wordpress.com)
- The high places (standingatthedoor.wordpress.com)
- Asa, a Model King Until… (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The Biblical Foundation of Our Constitution (americanclarion.com)