Philip was conducting what we might today call a revival meeting. God was blessing the meeting, and many were being healed and delivered from demonic influence. Here is the scene:
Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Christ there. When the crowds heard Philip and saw the miraculous signs he did, they all paid close attention to what he said. With shrieks, evil spirits came out of many, and many paralytics and cripples were healed. So there was great joy in that city (Acts 8:5-8).
And yet, in the midst of this great event, the Holy Spirit spoke to Philip and told him to remove himself and go to a completely different area to speak to one individual. Philip was so sensitive to the directive of the Holy Spirit that he left what would be deemed a successful event to go speak to another – an Ethiopian eunuch. The result of his obedience was that Philip led the eunuch to faith in Christ and baptized him. The Lord then took Philip away supernaturally to another region many miles away.
God’s ways of determining where we invest our time and energy often have little to do with results. The danger for each of us is to determine that we are in the center of God’s will simply by the success or failure of the events we are involved in. Our plumb line for determining success can be only one thing: obedience. Philip responded in obedience to the direction of the Holy Spirit.
Are you listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit? Has God prompted you to speak, go, or come alongside another? Ask God today to help you hear the Holy Spirit’s voice so that you might be used mightily in your workplace.
- Does Someone Have to Lay Hands on Me to Receive the Holy Spirit? (jdylanparker.wordpress.com)
- Does Someone Have to Lay Hands on Me to Receive the Holy Spirit? (askthepastors.wordpress.com)
- Baptism part two (ptl2010.com)
- The Trinity’s Teamwork (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Simon – A Man Who Tried to Buy the Holy Spirit (brakeman1.com)
- Gratitude for the Holy Spirit’s Goodness (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- The Ethiopian Eunuch – Philip Preaches to a Stranger on a Lonely Road (brakeman1.com)
- Chapter 9 – “Behold … let it be done unto me…” (fanningtheflame.wordpress.com)
- The Acts of the Apostles, ch 8 (biblein21cenglish.wordpress.com)
- The Samaritan Pentecost (thingspaulandluke.wordpress.com)