US: ‘Limited’ engagement with Muslim Brotherhood
Thursday, June 30, 2011
By BRADLEY KLAPPER, Associated PressSecretary of State Hillary Clinton speaks in the Upper Chamber of Parliament in Budapest, Hungary, on Thursday, June 30, 2011. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) – The Obama administration is reaching out to the Muslim Brotherhood in a “limited” effort to build ties and promote democratic principles ahead of Egypt’s upcoming parliamentary and presidential elections.
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton says the U.S. isn’t adopting a new policy. She says the administration wants to engage all Egyptian groups as long as they espouse nonviolence.
Clinton says the hardline group also must respect minority rights and the full inclusion of women in the political sphere.
Israel is wary of any engagement with the Muslim Brotherhood because of the hostility some of its members have expressed toward the Jewish state.
- I Bet You Didn’t Know?! (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Report: US Renewing Contact with Muslim Brotherhood (israelnationalnews.com)
- American Engagment; Obama Style (via The Western Experience) (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Weiner’s Wife Tied to the Muslim Brotherhood! (wtpotus.wordpress.com)
- ARAB SPRING: It’s raining, it’s pouring, but it’s the Muslim Brotherhood that’s soaring… (barenakedislam.wordpress.com)
- Engaging Egyptian Brotherhood is OK, White House tells Mizrahi (jta.org)
- American Engagment; Obama Style (thewesternexperience.com)
- Muslim Brotherhood Egypt: State Dept Funds from 2007 (ameristroika.wordpress.com)
- Reuters: Obama to Establish Formal Contacts with the Muslim Brotherhood (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- PRELUDE: Muslim Brotherhood training in Egypt! (ameristroika.wordpress.com)