Nigeria: Bomb explodes outside church during worship service, wounding five
Just keep repeating to yourself: “Islamophobia” is the real problem. “Islamophobia” is the real problem. “Islamophobia” is the real problem. “Bomb near car explodes in Nigeria, wounding 5,” by Bashir Adigun and Jon Gambrell for the Associated Press, February 19:
SULEJA, Nigeria — A bomb planted by an abandoned car exploded outside a church in the middle of a worship service Sunday near Nigeria’s capital, wounding five people amid a continuing wave of violence by a radical Islamist sect, authorities and witnesses said.
No one immediately claimed responsibility for the blast outside the Christ Embassy church in Suleja, a city near the nation’s capital Abuja. However, the area has been targeted in the past by the sect known as Boko Haram – including the Christmas Day car bombing of a Catholic church nearby that killed at least 44 people.
The explosion happened just after 10 a.m. as the church began its service, Pastor Uyi Idugboe told journalists. Security guards at the church had noticed something suspicious by the abandoned car, prompting the pastor to call everyone inside the church before the service began, he said….
Members of the sect have been blamed for killing at least 289 people this year alone, according to an Associated Press count. The group’s leader says its campaign of violence also is aimed at avenging Muslim deaths and pushing for strict Shariah law across multiethnic Nigeria, a nation of more than 160 million people….
Bombs have struck Suleja in the past. During Nigeria’s April election, a bomb planted at an election office in the city killed 16 people. Another bomb at a church exploded in July in the city, killing three people.
In nearby Madalla, another town in Niger state, a car bomb exploded outside St. Theresa Catholic Church there, killing at least 44 people. Authorities have blamed all the previous attacks in Suleja on Boko Haram.
They also kill fellow Muslims who don’t see eye-to-eye with them:
Meanwhile, authorities blamed the group for killing two people Saturday in Nigeria’s northeast. There, gunmen shot dead an Islamic cleric and a local politician in separate attacks, police said.
Posted by Robert on February 19, 2012 8:45 PM
- Bomb explosion in Suleja near Abuja, 5 wounded (saferafricagroup.com)
- Explosions, Gunfire Strike Northeast Nigeria City (abcnews.go.com)
- Bomb near car explodes in Nigeria, wounding 5 (nation.com.pk)
- Another arrest ‘ll sink Boko Haram – Security agent (magickaydiary.wordpress.com)
- Christians vow defence in Nigeria as Boko Haram kills 15 (theglobeandmail.com)
- Escaped Nigeria sect member rearrested for bombing (foxnews.com)
- Boko Haram in Deadly Nigeria Jailbreak (ibtimes.com)
- Nigeria Says Ex-Soldier Wanted in Church Bombing (abcnews.go.com)
- Nigeria recaptures bomb suspect (bbc.co.uk)
- Terrorism in Nigeria (kendoris.wordpress.com)